In 1934 the Calcutta University issued a guideline that specified that specified that the medium of instruction in all Classes from III to X would henceforth be in the vernacular languages. This guideline posed a problem in Cotton Collegiate School, then the town’s main school, since Assamese and Bengali were the mediums of instruction only till Class VI. (From Class VII-X the medium for all students was English.) So, there were neither sufficient Bengali nor Assamese teachers to take classes up to Class X. Meanwhile the town had expanded, and the number of students had been denied admission at the Collegiate School for lack of seats. The other government-aided school, the Sonaram Institution, was situated in the extreme western suburbs of the town and was not the first preference of guardians. Meanwhile the Kamrup Academy had also come into existence, but was also unable to cope with the rush for admissions. In the year 1935, nearly 150 boys in the Kamrup Academy and 160 in the Collegiate School pursuing their studies in the Bengali medium.
Finally, on December 15, 1935, the DPI of Assam, BA Small, laid the foundation stone of the school building in the presence of a large gathering. Khan Sahib Ida Khan who was given responsibility of construction of the building, completed it in exactly four months’ time. On April 28, 1936, Sir Michael Keane, the Chief Commissioner of Assam, officially inaugurated the school.
The school was named the Silver Jubilee Anglo-Bengali High School commemorating the 25th year of coronation of Emperor George V. The managing committee of the school started functioning with Kalicharan Sen as president, Mahendra Mohan Lahiri as secretary and Jogesh Chandra Sen as joint secretary. Upendra Nath Sengupta, Panchu Gopal Mukherjee, Bhuban Mohan Sen, Ananda Kishore Das, Ratish Chandra Kar, Abdul Rafique Dewan, Nalini Bhusan Dasgupta and Sachindra Mohan Dey were made members of the managing committee. The aim of the school was to “teach boys through the medium of Bengali language, to develop their physique, to inculcate in them love and respect for different castes communities and races so that they can all live amicably, to give them training and discipline and character, to tech them loyalty, patriotism, obedience and service to others and to give them a thorough and well- round training so that they may be fit to discharge any duty that they may be called upon to perform in after life.”
In the very first year the school enrolled a record 404 students, which was proof of the fact that there was a genuine need for this school. Students included 363 Bengali, 24 Marwari, seven Manipuri, three Nepali, four Punjabi, two Hindustani and one Tamil boy. Almost all Bengali-medium students of the Kamrup Academy also joined the Silver Jubilee Anglo-Bengali High School that had virtually sprung out of the womb of undivided Kamrup Academy.
After independence the school was renamed the Bengali High school. Later in 1965, it was elevated to a higher secondary school with both Science and Arts streams. The school holds distinction of having hosted the Bangali Chatra Sanmelan, the most sought-after yearly event of the Bengali community of Assam, till the 1970s. Over the years the school has produced figures like Kiranmay Lahiri, Birendra Guha Gauri Sankar Himmatsingka, Amalendu Guha, Saroj Sen, Ram Ranjan Bhattacharjee, Nirendra Mohan Lahiri, Amalendu Banerjee, Satya Narayan Sikaria, Radha Krishna Siotia, Ardhendu Banerjee, Gurudas Chatterjee, Indrajit Chatterjee and many others who have shone in their chosen fields and added to pride of the school.